header-photo

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Week 6

Hey guys! I'm reporting on my weekend.

Fourth of July turned out to be more fun than I thought it'd be. I had a couple of friends from work over to my house. I made a blueberry muffin loaf (used a meatloaf pan instead of a muffin pan) which was delicious and then we grilled burgers, wrapped them up in tortillas with Mexican cheese and salsa and made a Mexican burger (I didn't have American cheese or hamburger buns...). So, even though the food was supposed to be all-American, it turned out to be more representative of America's diversity? I don't know, but it tasted good!

Then we went to the Anchorage Bucs vs. Glacier Pilates double-header game where the fireworks were going to be lit off at midnight. The baseball games were sort of slow but it was nice to be out doing something and there was ice cream so that made it better. The fireworks were great and we had terrific seats by third base (fireworks launched from behind second-ish).

Sunday I did some errands (grocery shopping) and laundry and hung around the house. Sunday night, some friends from work and I went camping! I didn't have work, but they did and they came over at 7, I packed up and we drove up to Eklutna Lake and set up camp. On our way there, we saw a black bear cross the road which, of course, made me a little nervous because it meant there were bears near where I'd be sleeping almost defenseless. We managed to survive unscathed, though. The tent we had wasn't large enough so we spread a tarp over the tent and the nearby picnic table and slept in the space inbetween the two. Before going to bed we took a walk down to the lake--it was beautiful, blue-grey glacier melt. Though it took a little while to actually get to sleep (hampered both by the never-ending sunlight and our propensity to talk), I was pretty well-rested the next morning. I had to work the next morning so I'm glad I got enough sleep. We've decided to keep doing this every Saturday night (most people either have off or work later Sunday) for the rest of the summer so I'm pretty excited. It'll be a nice addition to my summer.

That's it for now! Next week I'll have more information about my plans for when Mom visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment