header-photo

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Week 7

Another weekend (and week) update!

This past Saturday I went camping again--this time with a different group. A friend of mine from the museum, Thomas (who went camping with me last week), and a group of his friends came with me this time. Actually, I guess they took me since they drove and had all the gear, but I talked them into it. Anyway, we went to the Eagle River campground this weekend because the Eklutna Lake campground was full. We had a BLAST. It was really nice to be with Thomas's friends because they fit me really well too. In fact, I've sort of stolen them from Thomas as I've been hanging out with them almost every day so far this week but that will come later. We went for a walk along the water and they tried to throw me in (jokingly) and I resisted, sitting down hard on the ground and promptly ripping my jeans in the seat... It was a little embarrassing but definitely funny. I had to wear jeans with a hole on my butt cheek for the rest of the trip. We stayed up really late (4 am) talking, joking, and sharing embarrassing stories and even went on a little night hike. When we woke up in the morning we packed up and ate breakfast at a little diner-ish place called Jackie's.

Later that day we all got together again and had a cook-out. I brought frozen burgers and tater tots and we cut avocado and onions for the burgers. They were so good! My friend Tuck made them and he is trying to become a chef. We played pool and Apples to Apples and I went home late and tired. Oh well, it was worth it. Monday night we played Risk and watched 28 Days Later, much to my chagrin. It was sort of a good-natured hazing type thing because I mentioned while camping that I am really afraid of zombies so when I was the first one to be whiped out in Risk, I had to watch the zombie movie. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it still made me jumpier than usual.

Today at the Red Cross I worked on the Penny Campaign, a fundraising effort we do in scho0ols that has students donate their spare lunch money. I worked on composing a list of donors who might donate prizes for the students who raise the most money. Then I wrote and mailed off letters to each of the donors. 99 donors makes for a lot of letters. I also have finished writing the text portion of my internship history book project. Tonight we are all going to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and I couldn't be more excited. We'll probably get there early with everyone else in Anchorage and sit around talking, waiting to be let in to the theater and pick out seats together. We might get something to eat beforehand, too.

Saturday afternoon my Mom comes to Anchorage! We have our trip all planned out and next week I'll have pictures and stories galore for you. We will be going to the Saturday Market in town here and on Tuesday we will leave for Denali, hitting Sun Dog Kennels in Talkeetna on the way up for a Iditarod kennel tour and cart ride. Wednesday we will go into the park on a shuttle, probably hiking around for most of the day. Thursday we will come back to Anchorage, probably doing something else in Denali earlier in the day. I work Friday and Mom leaves Friday night so, while it's a short visit, I am really excited to see her and go on our trip together.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and have an exciting post next week so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment