header-photo

Friday, May 22, 2009

Day Seven

Hey guys,

Again, not much to say. Today was my first day of work. I went in at 9 and filled out forms up in HR for direct deposit, taxes, etc. Very exciting. Then I went down to the store and was put to work doing odd jobs: emptying boxes, making displays, organizing shelves and other similar things. It was fun work, work I like to do. I like to organize and make things look nice so this was fun. Since the museum isn't open to the public yet (it's been closed for major renovations and opens next week), we're still in crunch time to get the store setup and ready to open. The soft opening is tomorrow and Katy will be coming in to see the store and the whole museum. I go in at 9 and work to get the store completely setup and then I'll work a register until I go home. Once we open, working the register will be my main task.

During lunch I had to go to City Hall to get an ID because security in the museum is really tight since we have the Gold exhibit from the National Museum of Natural History and it's a big deal. The ID was uneventful and then Katy (who picked me up from the museum and dropped be back off after lunch) went to lunch at a nearby sub shop. We got chicken gyros which were delicious. She brought me back to work and I did more of the same.

After work, I walked back to the hotel room since the museum is really close and it was a nice day out. We hung around the room, me chatting online and Katy watching TV and taking a shower. We decided on Japanese for dinner and picked a nearby place that the front desk recommended. We walked since it was so close. It was really good, surprising since it was attached to the Econo Lodge... Despite that though, it was good food and we both enjoyed our dinner. Then we settled in to watch a movie in our room (we would have gone out to see a movie if there was ANYTHING we wanted to see...) and will go to bed early since I have to get up early again tomorrow.

We didn't move in today just because there was no real reason to. I'm closer to the museum here at the hotel so I might as well make use of that while I can. Plus, I got off work around 5:30 and there wasn't a significant amount of time to move in--we'll do it tomorrow after work.

Sorry there's not much to share. After work starts and I settle down there won't be much to report on here and I'll probably only update weekly instead of daily. I hope no one minds.

I'll let everyone know more about the museum once I actually get to see exhibits tomorrow. I'm sure Katy will have stuff to report, too. Plus, I'll have my first real work experience doing what I'll be doing for the rest of the summer and I can report on that. Maybe I'll make funny cash register mistakes or something, who knows.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound boring so I'm going to sign off. Have a good day (I've realized that everyone probably reads these entries the morning after I write them so I've switched from "Goodnight" to "Have a good day.")

2 comments:

  1. I will miss reading these everyday when I wake up :(

    I hope work goes well tomorrow and that the register isn't too hard!

    Anyways, good luck

    kz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed reading about your settling in time and seeing your pictures. This may be the impetus I need to get signed up on Facebook! Take care --Aunt Sis

    ReplyDelete