header-photo

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day Three

Hi guys! Today was less exciting, but still (oddly enough) exhausting. It started off with me being awoken by the sounds of the city outside my open window...(Katy insists on it being open for the fresh air) and her type-type-typing on the computer, industriously working remotely ON HER VACATION. I disapprove even though I've done it myself. But in this case, it was getting in the way of my sleep. Anyway, she continued to work until around 11:30 when we left and went to the bank to withdraw money so I could pay Christa for the deposit and first month's rent. We also went to the post office so I could mail some post cards.

At 1:00, I had a meeting at the Anchorage Museum with Mark, my future boss to be shown around and make a tentative schedule. The museum is amazing and the store is huge. It's going to be really cool to see it all come together in the next couple of days (the soft opening is this Saturday and the public opening is next Saturday).

After that meeting we went to Humpey's, a bar and grille nearby and sat outside, basking in the sun and eating nachos and fries. We talked about my meeting and about what we wanted to do tomorrow. We decided on horseback-riding and made the appropriate calls. 12:30 tomorrow on the Army base. Apparently the parks around here aren't open yet for horses so we have to ride on the base which will be pretty cool.

We went back to the hotel so I could change shoes because the ones I was wearing were giving me blisters after my ridiculous trek yesterday. After changing shoes I found a promising bike on Craigslist and followed up--going to go look at it tomorrow after riding. Then we drove over to Christa's to give her the money and see all the changes she had made around the house in just two days! She had put in a new TV, a bed with bedding in my future room, and put up new lights. She will have new doors (with locks, though I don't really feel the need for one) by the time I move in Saturday. I'm so excited!

My future room.

Katy in the living room.

Diamond, my new pseudo dog!

Roomies! =P

After seeing Christa, Katy and I went adventuring up to Eagle River where we climbed steep residential streets, looking for great views--we found them. As we drove up, we came around a corner and saw spectacular views of the valley and shore. There were even parasailers who had jumped from the peaks above us and were sailing down to the valley floor below. It was pretty awesome.



Case and point for beautiful.


After our adventuring we went to go find dinner; naturally, in the most obtuse way possible. We eventually settled for Boston's, an Applebee's-esque Canadian chain not to be confused with Boston Market. It was interesting and we got to see interesting people (see below).


The angelic couple.

After dinner we promptly went back to the room where Katy immediately started working again and I watched TV, my stomache starting to feel worse and worse. As I write this, it hurts but not enough that I feel confident that I might throw up. I think it will remain a dull discomfort, a definite reminder of my quality meal. Katy feels similarly. Oh well!

Now it's time for bed. Katy will work again in the morning and we'll go horseback-riding (!!!) and then go look at the prospective bike. Horses! Yay!

Tune in next time!

Goodnight, guys.

P.S. The commenting feature of the blog should be working now--let me know if it isn't.

5 comments:

  1. Nice updates - the scenery is fabulous! Since Katy insists on putting us other aunts to shame, I agree she should stop working and enjoy the trip. Good luck with your jobs!

    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will never replace me! Also, it all looks great and I'm getting more and more jealous. FYI.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see where you live to have a context for where you'll be. AK looks amazing. Christa (nice name) looks very nice. Can you venture outside and explore while Katy is catching up on email in the a.m?
    xoYM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pfft, venture outside? It's like 9 in the morning! After days of non-stop activity due to the all-day sun, I need those mornings to recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diamond is your "pseudo dog"? Is he really a cat? Is he just a stuffed dog that you can talk to when you're feeling blue? I have a real dog here. He's cool. The pics are great, keep them coming.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete